Thursday, July 26, 2018

Week 4 - Buenos Aires Argentina MTC

What's up everyone? This week has been pretty normal, nothing crazy has happened. So last Thursday we got 50 new missionaries, and so that meant six more people in our room. In our room now we have two Elders from Utah and then elders from Nicaragua, Guatemala, Peru, and Spain. So late on Thursday night me and Elder Peterson had to stay up until like 2 am to wait for elder Bustos who was arriving from Spain that night, and we just played soccer in the cafeteria and ate a ton of dulce de leche. I really like all the elders in our room. Elder Dardon and Caledron are 24 and 25, respectively, so its interesting to have some older Elders in the room. 

So, naturally when you get a bunch of new roommates, you have to play the "rat in the ceiling" prank on them. We got all of the new gringos with the prank, and they were so scared. The Latins laugh so hard when we do the prank. We even got one of teachers, Hermana Carillo with it, and she was super-scared actually.

On Sunday I gave a 5-minute talk in sacrament meeting in Spanish and it was pretty awesome except for the fact that the microphone stand was made for midgets and I had to like bend over to be able to talk into the mic.

This week in our district we were trying to brainstorm ways to make sure people speak in Spanish when its time for Spanish only, and ways to motivate people to show up on time to meetings. ...So we invented some "castigos", which means punishments in English. We all write down a couple of castigos on little slips of paper and put them in a jar. The funniest ones that happened were Elder Lunt had to sit and stare out the window until a plane passed by which ended up being like thirty minutes. Then Elder Brereton had to eat a piece of paper. Like these seem very interesting, but believe me when this is as good as entertainment gets in the MTC. One of the castigos was you have to give Elder Christensen a piggy-back ride to the next meal, and Elder Russ, the smallest person in the District, drew that one so he had to give me a piggy-back ride to lunch on Monday.

Something scary happened this week, Elder Schollz, didn't wake up and he was unresponsive and apparently had a seizure in the middle of the night, but everything turned out to be he forgot to get enough insulin and he was fine after like an hour but that was kind of scary.

We got hot showers for the first time in the MTC this week! It felt strange, like I didn't really know what was going on, I had to question if this was real life, when I was taking the shower because I had only had freezing cold showers the whole time here. So, then everyone for a couple days was taking 20-minute showers and now, guess what, back to freezing cold showers.

And I can't figure out how to get this picture thing to work, but one day I'll figure it out because I've got a bunch of pictures to send.

It's been annoying sometimes being with the same eleven people for this long, but I was reading in the Old Testament in Proverbs 15, and the first verse goes something along the lines of, "A harsh response brings wrath and a soft response doesn't." So yeah, I've been working on being patient. But, this has been an amazing first month, and I can't wait to see what more there is in store for me.

Elder Tanner Christensen


For Family:

Dad, so there's an Elder in my room named Joseph Valezquez, from Managua, Nicaragua and he says he was in the same ward as Monsop Collado while Collado was Mission President, so thats cool. Yes Mom, I'm taking care of myself and washing my sheets and brushing my teeth. We are going proselyting again on Saturday. This week I don't really have anything to add, it's all pretty much the same. I'm ready to leave the CCM (MTC) for sure. Going to the temple is really nice every week I didn't even fall asleep during the session this time, so that was a score. It's just really hard to stay awake in the temple.


Elder Christensen and Peterson (Elder Christensen is having some camera issues, can't get the computers to read his memory card, so he was experimenting with his "back up" memory card."

Buenos Aires Argentina Temple, view from the Missionary Training Center next door

No comments:

Post a Comment