Thursday, August 2, 2018

Week 5 - Buenos Aires Argentina MTC

What's up everyone, the last full week in the MTC has been pretty sweet. [PARENT NOTE: He leaves the MTC next Tuesday, August 7th, to go to his actual mission, Buenos Aires North.] On Thursday night we ate shark which was really cool and I felt awesome, but then they actually told us it was fish, so that was disappointing. 

So it's been raining a ton, in the beginning of the week, like raining all day non-stop. On Saturday we went proselyting in the west part of Buenos Aires in one of the nicer neighborhoods actually, which was disappointing because I kind of wanted to get mugged. So anyways, it was raining all day on Saturday, and we were trying to teach people, so we wander into a guitar shop and I start playing guitar and Elder Peterson is playing the ukulele. We start talking to the worker about the church and it turns out he's been like to 4 years of religious school and he kind of starts roasting, us so we are like, dang let's get out of here. So, we are walking around not really having much success, so we go eat lunch, at guess where, McDonalds, but we didn't have enough money to buy anything, so we just ate our sack lunches in McDonalds just to get out of the rain. But then after McDonalds, I was like, man this is hard, so Elder Peterson and I said a prayer and I was reminded me of a scripture in Mosiah 25 or 26 i can't remember right now, but it's basically when Alma and his followers were in bondage to the wicked priests of King Noah, and they prayed for help and strength, and their burdens were made light. The Lord didn't deliver them right away, but he helped them progress through their struggles which is how I felt on Saturday afternoon. We didn't have a ton of success, but we had a good time proselyting and learned a lot. OK, back to the story so after McDonalds we go to a grocery store to get some candy, naturally. but as we are walking in, we bump into this one lady and start talking to her about the church and she's really interested, so we gave her a pass-along card and got her information. So it turns out my sweet tooth was a blessing. And plus, I bought a bunch of candy, so we killed two birds with one stone, and there will be more mentioned about said candy later. Later that day we go into another guitar shop, different than the one in the morning, but then this guitar shop guy started roasting us even worse than the first guitar guy, he just kept calling us a bunch of "Shankees", and I didn't know what that even meant, so I was just sitting there thinking the whole conversation,  "What does Shankee mean?", but then it dawned on me, that he was saying "Yankee" but with an Argentine accent, but anyway we didnt necessarily have a lot of success, but it was a good time for sure. [PARENT NOTE: Argentine Spanish uses a "Shhh" sound whenever there is a "Y" or a double "L".]

In other news, we had a different teacher for most of the week in the afternoon because our main teacher was gone. His name was Hermano Gallegos, and lets just say he was a little nervous because he had never taught a North American group yet, and his english was a little shaky. [PARENT NOTE: In the MTC, classes are divided into native Spanish speakers, that stay 3 weeks, and North Americans, that stay 6 weeks.] So naturally, we have to do the "Rats in the ceiling" prank to him. So I get up there saying there was a rat, and then I throw a sock at him and he literally screamed, and there's probably a 73 percent chance he had a heart attack, so that was really funny. But actually he did a really good job teaching and we really enjoyed having him. We were learning the "Past Subjunctive" tense this week which was stupid, like,  why does Spanish have so many different tenses? I've decided I might have to be like Kevin from the office. I don't if any of you have seen that show, but theres an episode where he talks super-simple and he says "Why say many word when few word does trick?" and I might have to just do that with Spanish. 

Oh guess what? I also ate a spider this week. Easiest three dollars I have ever made. Maybe I'll turn into Spiderman, who knows?

So back to the story about the candy I bought. On Monday I think, we were playing basketball during outside time and Elder Smith says that if he makes a full-court shot, that he gets my dessert at the next meal, and guess what, he swishes it. It wasn't like totally suprising you know, Elder Smith played basketball in High School and I was like, oh well. It turns out he was nice enough and didn't make me give him my dessert. So then a similar bet comes up between me and Elder Dardon, who is from Guatemala.  He says that if I make a full-court shot, I get to have his whole dinner that night, and if he makes it, he gets my whole dinner. I'm like easy, there's nothing to lose here. Elder Dardon couldn't make a full-court shot, heck he couldn't even make a layup to save his life. So I go first and I miss my shot, so, no harm no foul there, I figure. But then Elder Dardon gets up and shoots a line drive and of course he swishes it, nothing but net. So I don't wanna give up my dinner, so we make a compromise, that I give him the rest of my candy, which was like two candy bars, so that was really sad.

Anyways, it was a fun week, and my time at the MTC is winding down. I leave next Tuesday for Buenos Aires Norte, I think the mission home is in San Fernando (on the north side of Buenos Aires) which is like an hour and a half drive. It's been a great week, and I love sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Miss you guys!

Elder Tanner Christensen



For Family:

Do you think you guys could attach a couple pics to the big email, thanks. And Dad, it's funny you sent that Elder Holland quote because we watched two Elder Holland Devotionals this week, and he said that line you sent "Salvation is not a cheap experience", and that has kind of been an inside joke in our district ,whenever somebody says something is hard. Not much to say, it's all in the big email I guess.













No comments:

Post a Comment